Monday, May 2, 2011

Beall Center for Art and Technology


The Beall Center for Art and Technology was a lot smaller as compared to the other museums I have visited for this class. However, the pieces that were displayed were really interesting.  The sculptures are meant to represent living objects. The pieces use technology to create an illusion that the piece is alive. The art is powered by compressed air which make the pieces expand and contract. As you walk past the pieces, sensors detect you and the sculpture starts to inflate. After a while the sculpture deflates. I really liked how these pieces let the audience interact with them and actually be a part of them. The first sculpture I saw when I walked in was a sculpture of a human. It could not fully inflate because part of the sculpture was punctured.



The second sculpture I saw was a sculpture of birds. The wings slowly moved up and down and then after a while the motion died down.



The person working at the center gave us a tour of the pieces. He told us that he did not know what the last piece was. However, I really liked this piece because of how unique it looked. It was also the biggest piece in the room. I think this sculpture resembled a tunnel.



No comments:

Post a Comment